Immunization Information for Childcare, Preschool, and School Aged Children
Immunizations are one of the most effective measures to protect children from harmful diseases and death.
Immunizations required for school/preschool/childcare
Since 1978, Michigan law has required that children be up-to-date with certain immunizations before they can attend childcare, preschool, kindergarten, 7th grade, or enroll in a new district. It is the parent/legal guardian responsibility to provide an up-to-date immunization record, submit a medical waiver – completed and signed by their child’s physician, or complete a valid non-medical waiver – on or before the first day of care/school.
A child who is not compliant with immunization regulations will not be permitted into childcare/preschool/school.
Please click on the link below to view the required immunizations for your child:
You can contact your child’s physician or the Jackson County Health Department (JCHD) to determine if your child is up-to-date with their immunizations. You can get your child immunized at:
- Their doctor’s office (most physicians will do an “immunization only” visit if child was seen in the past year);
- The JCHD (currently only accepting Medicaid, underinsured and uninsured);
- Center for Family Health;
- Some pharmacies (call ahead to make sure they carry the vaccines your child needs).
Medical and Non-Medical Immunization Waivers
Children who have a valid medical reason for not being vaccinated can submit a medical waiver. Medical waivers are completed and signed by the child’s physician. The medical waiver is then submitted to the JCHD for review.
If your child has a medical contraindication to a vaccine(s), please have our child’s doctor complete this form.
A guide to medical contraindications to vaccines can be found here.
Parents who choose not to vaccinate their children for religious or philosophical reasons can complete a non-medical waiver.
To complete a non-medical immunization waiver:
- Review the Immunization Education presentation. Please thoroughly review each page and link as information covered in this presentation will be on the “Knowledge Check”, which is required to be completed at the end of the presentation;
- Complete the Knowledge Check. The link to the Knowledge Check is on the last page of the Immunization Education presentation;
- After the Knowledge Check is completed and submitted, an email will be sent to the JCHD Immunization Program. The Knowledge Check also has a space for you to enter any questions you would like addressed at your appointment;
- The JCHD will contact you to schedule an appointment to address any questions and digitally sign the waiver. If you do not receive a phone call within 3 business days, please contact the JCHD at (517) 768-2149.
By reviewing the information and taking the Knowledge Check before your appointment, you can expedite the non-medical immunization waiver process time. At the appointment, the waiver will be entered onto your child’s immunization record electronically and the parent/legal guardian will “sign” the waiver by typing in their name. Any questions you may have can also be answered at this time.
If you choose not to review the information and complete the Knowledge Check ahead of time, you must contact the Immunization Program at (517) 768-2149 to schedule an appointment, where we will review the immunization resources together and answer any questions you may have. The waiver will then be entered on the child’s immunization record and the parent/legal guardian will “sign” the waiver by typing in their name.
Thank you. We look forward to working with you.