Image is Decorative

If your complaint is an environmental emergency, call 911.

The Jackson County Environmental Health Division responds to food service establishment complaints and environmental unsanitary conditions such as sewage surfacing from a failing septic system.

ALL complaints must be submitted in writing unless there is visible sewage on the ground.

Please be prepared to provide the following information on our complaint form: 


  1. Name, address/location, and phone number of the person, establishment, etc you are filing a complaint against. 
  2. A detailed description of complaint, including a summary of what actions have been taken so far to resolve the issue. Pictures do help occasionally with an investigation. 
  3. Your name, address, and phone number and signature

Our staff may: 


  • Contact you to discuss the complaint or to gather more information 
  • Contact the responsible party to see if they know of the problem and/or to find out how they are fixing it 
  • Forward your complaint to the appropriate agency (JCHD does not handle all complaints)

The Environmental Health Division does NOT investigate mold or pest control issues and we cannot provide medical or legal advice. 





Complaints We Do Not Investigate:

Retail Food Complaints

All retail food complaints such as party stores, gas stations, grocery stores, etc must be submitted to MDARD. Call them at 1-800-292-3939 or check out their website at,4610,7-125-2762---C,00.html 


City of Jackson

If you live in the City of Jackson, you will need to submit your complaint to the City’s complaint department. You can call them at 517-788-4012 or for tenant’s complaints at 517-788-4060. To fill out their complaint form online please visit their website at 


Township Office

If you don’t live in the city, you live in a township. All complaints may be submitted to your township as well as us. Please visit contact information for your township. 

Renters/Landlords Disputes

If you are a renter and are having disputes with your landlord about upkeep of a home or fixing an issue, you can contact Legal Services to find out what your rights are. Call them at 517-787-6111 or visit their website 

Additional information on your tenant's legal rights is available from Michigan Legal Help:


Manufactured/Mobile Homes

If you live in a manufactured or mobile home park contact the Bureau of Construction Codes Building Division at 517-241-9317 or visit


Licensed Health Care Facility

Complaints concerning health professionals, health facilities/agencies/programs, adult foster care/homes for the ages, and child care centers/camps, you can find information on the Michigan Bureau of Community and Health Systems:,4601,7-154-63294_27723_27777_72411---,00.html


Department of Human Services (DHHS)

If you feel a loved one is in danger, call DHHS at 855-444-3911 

Visit Child Protective Services for additional information:,4562,7-124-7119_50648---,00.html 

Visit Adult Protective Services for additional information:,4562,7-124-7119_50647---,00.html 


The Jackson County, Michigan DHHS office is at 301 E Louis Glick Hwy, Jackson, MI 49201 and can be reached at 517-780-7400