If your complaint is an environmental emergency, call 911.
The Jackson County Environmental Health Division responds to food service establishment complaints and environmental unsanitary conditions such as sewage surfacing from a failing septic system.
ALL complaints must be submitted in writing unless there is visible sewage on the ground.
Please be prepared to provide the following information on our complaint form:
- Name, address/location, and phone number of the person, establishment, etc you are filing a complaint against.
- A detailed description of complaint, including a summary of what actions have been taken so far to resolve the issue. Pictures do help occasionally with an investigation.
- Your name, address, and phone number and signature
Our staff may:
- Contact you to discuss the complaint or to gather more information
- Contact the responsible party to see if they know of the problem and/or to find out how they are fixing it
- Forward your complaint to the appropriate agency (JCHD does not handle all complaints)
The Environmental Health Division does NOT investigate mold or pest control issues and we cannot provide medical or legal advice.
- Nuisance Complaint Form (Submit online) or Nuisance Complaint Form (PDF)
- Food Complaint Form (Submit online) or Food Complaint Form (PDF)
- Smoking Complaint Form (PDF)
Complaints We Do Not Investigate:
Retail Food Complaints
All retail food complaints such as party stores, gas stations, grocery stores, etc must be submitted to MDARD. Call them at 1-800-292-3939 or check out their website at http://www.michigan.gov/mdard/0,4610,7-125-2762---C,00.html
City of Jackson
If you live in the City of Jackson, you will need to submit your complaint to the City’s complaint department. You can call them at 517-788-4012 or for tenant’s complaints at 517-788-4060. To fill out their complaint form online please visit their website at http://www.cityofjackson.org/350/File-a-Complaint
If you don’t live in the city, you live in a township. All complaints may be submitted to your township as well as us. Please visit https://michigantownships.org/find-a-township/for contact information for your township.
If you are a renter and are having disputes with your landlord about upkeep of a home or fixing an issue, you can contact Legal Services to find out what your rights are. Call them at 517-787-6111 or visit their website http://www.lsscm.org/
Additional information on your tenant's legal rights is available from Michigan Legal Help: http://michiganlegalhelp.org/self-help-tools/housing/tenant-rights-and-responsibilities
If you live in a manufactured or mobile home park contact the Bureau of Construction Codes Building Division at 517-241-9317 or visit https://www.michigan.gov/lara/bureau-list/bcc/divisions/mobile
Licensed Health Care Facility
Complaints concerning health professionals, health facilities/agencies/programs, adult foster care/homes for the ages, and child care centers/camps, you can find information on the Michigan Bureau of Community and Health Systems: http://www.michigan.gov/lara/0,4601,7-154-63294_27723_27777_72411---,00.html
Department of Human Services (DHHS)
If you feel a loved one is in danger, call DHHS at 855-444-3911
Visit Child Protective Services for additional information: http://www.michigan.gov/dhs/0,4562,7-124-7119_50648---,00.html
Visit Adult Protective Services for additional information: http://www.michigan.gov/dhs/0,4562,7-124-7119_50647---,00.html
The Jackson County, Michigan DHHS office is at 301 E Louis Glick Hwy, Jackson, MI 49201 and can be reached at 517-780-7400